Friday, December 3, 2010

Where there is smoke there is burnt steak!

I started this journey super excited to eat some good food. All I have to say is that it can't get much worse that this. First Chaper: Searing. Searing is about making that yummy crust on the outside of food that gives it lots of flavor. Myth: (per alton brown) it does not lock in the flavors. So the first ingredient is skirt steak. Yummy fajita meat. First finding skirt steak was difficult. None at Frys or Costco. So attempted Bashes and with luck (and the help of the butcher) I found it. Bought two packages (maybe I already knew) and brought it home. I read the instructions about 5-6 times to make sure I didn't miss anything. Use a cast iron skillet: check. Let meat come to room temperature first: check. Season the meat: check. Turn on the vent above stove: check. At the time, thought this was a werid thing but I must follow all the directions. (Science brain much). Symon and I debated on taking off this weird membrane looking thing on the steak. (From all of the Food network I had watched I vague remembered this "silver skin" on some type of protein and a chef removing it on Iron Chef America.) But we agreed to leave it on because in the book it doesn't not talk about the skin. With nervousness... (stupid I know, its just food right?) Ready to sear!!!!


With tongs in hand, I place the steak (it looked so good) into the cast iron skillet remembering to NOT put oil in the pan in order to create the sear crust! Within seconds, the smoke began. At first it was just in the kitchen but within 3 minutes (each side must cook for 3 minutes without being moved to create the "sear", the whole downstair was smoking. as seen it this picture!


After 3 minutes per side, the meat was removed to rest under a foil tent, as directed. The very ends were burnt but I assumed that would happen to have a med-rare steak in the middle. Per Alton Brown (AB), the only way to eat skirt steak.


Next step was to cut the meat. How to cut, how to cut. My gut was to cut against the grain but not feeling confident which way was the grain anyways. I am begging for a diagram in the book at this point but no luck. AB states to cut on the bias against the grain. So I started and quickly realized that my knives SUCK! After basically sawing thought it, the meat was cooked. Sort of. Definately med-rare. Maybe even rare. Oh well, on to eating.

Symon: "I think it taste good but hard to chew/bite"
Reagan: EAT EAT EAT
Ryan: I don't like steak. (He did eat a bite or attempted to but he said it was too hard to chew)
Janelle: It tastes like charcoal and VERY hard to chew.


Needless to say, application searing #1 did not have a good outcome. I will be attempted again tonight. I will be removing the silver skin this time and maybe cooking it less time. Lets hope for the best!

PS: Woke up this morning and opened my bedroom to a smoky smell, STILL! Tonight I will be cooking with multiple fans on!



No comments:

Post a Comment