Thursday, August 9, 2012

Potato chips... Homemade style

My family loves chips.  Any kind including tortilla, potato, veggie and even pitas are a huge hit here.  Since I have become more aware of what we have been eating, chips are rarely in our house and if they are I can guarantee I was not the one who bought them.  (The kids love when Symon brings some chips home)  I'm not going to lie,  I LOVE CHIPS!!  My problem is two fold,  
#1  I love salt and can't stop eating them once I start
 #2  I eat them straight out of the bag
Therefore I was excited that I HAD to make chips.  :)  I started by getting set up with my frying station.  On the left is my draining rig, middle is oil, and the right is ice water in a salad spinner.  


I took one large russet potato and used a veggie peeler to make strips.  I placed the strips immediately into the ice water bath.  After I had 15 strips, I drained the water and then ran them through the salad spinner.

Once the oil was hot to 350 degrees in goes the potato strips
I gently used a spider (as seen next to the fryer) to pull apart the strips that are sticking together.  After about 1-2 minutes I removed them and placed them on the draining rig.  :)  Don't forget salt and pepper.  Yummy.
One potato filled up a Tupperware with chips and they were gone within 24 hours.  And by the way, I only had about 5 chips thanks to Ryan and Symon.  (Reagan was not a fan at all)  She is such a werido.  :)


These chips tasted really amazing.  Fresh and not heavy at all.  I felt like even though they were fried, it didn't have all of the chemicals that commercial companies use to keep their chips fresh while sitting on a shelf.  After making this I would love to try it again with different kinds of seasoning right after you take them out of the oil.  Maybe chili powder or lime juice/ zest.  The possibilities are endless.   I encourage you to try these and try a different spice.  I know I will.  

This is the end of the section about deep frying and next up saute'.  :)  A healthier way to cook finally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment