Thursday, January 26, 2012

Meatloaf for Breakfast!!!

We are finally at the end of the roasting section of Alton Browns first cook book. The last application is another meatloaf. I want to clear a couple things up. I like meatloaf, including the ones I usually make and my mom's as a kid. I kind of like the idea of putting whatever I have in the fridge with some type of meat and make it a loaf. Its very 1950's in my mind. I like my meatloaf firm and with a nice crust on the outside. I even like the Adam Sandler song, "meatloaf sandwich". I did not enjoy the last Alton Brown meatloaf that I made. It was soggy, greasy and yucky. Ketchup could not even save it. I was terrified to try ANOTHER meatloaf recipe from AB. I was thinking I just did not have the same mother as AB, or at least the same mother's meatloaf but he has saved the day with this breakfast meatloaf. Even though I did not serve this for breakfast it did definitely said breakfast all over it. This is a Turkey and Fig Breakfast Meatloaf.

The first step is to make a reduction of white grape juice. I put it into a saucepan and brought it up to a boil and then let it reduce to 2 Tbsp. Please, PLEASE watch this. The first time I did this part, the stomach flu decided to hit our house mid boil and I burned the hell out of the sauce. So much that it took 4-5 times of soaking, boiling, vinegar, and even a google search to figure out how to get it off of the pan. This of course is not good eats. In fact, I am pretty sure it was inedible charcoal! I couldn't even bring myself to take a picture of it I was so mad! So after the pukes was cleaned up and I took a deep breath, I started again. Please, PLEASE do not leave the stove if you choose to make it.


The best part of this recipe is that I literally just throw everything into a bowl and mix. The first ingredient was figs. Dried Figs. I have never eaten figs... fresh or dried. I think they basically taste like all other dried fruit. Maybe a cross between cranberries and raisins. I finely chopped these and added to them to the other ingredients.
These ingredients include ground turkey, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, dried thyme, nutmeg and ginger. I also loved that I had all of these ingredients in my house besides the figs. I truly think this, along with soups, is what meatloaf is all about. Another way to use up extra ingredients in your fridge.
If you are a meatloaf lover or even have made meatloaf before you will note one ingredient is missing that I thought was a standard on every meatloaf. The incredible, edible egg!!!! So what is the binder in this recipe. I am not sure the science behind it but I suspect that it is the grape juice. By reducing it, it becomes thick and makes the meatloaf stay together. My other concern was that turkey can become dry and with no flavor because there is not a lot of fat in turkey. This also was not a problem at all as you will see. I created 2 little loafs on parchment paper and put it into the over at 400 degrees.
The recipe called for cooking it about 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature was 155 degrees. In my oven this took more like 35-40 minutes. I also was determined to make a yummy crust on the outside of the meatloaf with NO sogginess. After it was finished I let it sit for 15-20 minutes to "set" or rest before slicing. I thought they looked really pretty and crusty!
I served with roasted new potatoes with Italian seasoning on top. Kind of like breakfast potatoes/ hash brown. Here is the finished product.
It was by far one of the best and unique meatloafs I have ever had. I did eat it with ketchup but really wanted a runny egg to eat with it. It most definitely has even a sweet taste from the figs. Even a little maple syrup would be good with it. This definitely is NOT my mothers meatloaf but very good and definitely could be used for a "breakfast for dinner" meal. The meatloaf was moist with lots of flavor and stayed together despite no eggs in the recipe. Overall an AWESOME dinner.

Next technique is frying. I better get my running shoes ready!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment