Wednesday, July 27, 2011

More Shrimp Please!!!

So its Monday afternoon, you are exhausted from a long weekend of working/playing or whatever you did. You don't want to just snack for dinner but don't feel like "making dinner". This is the perfect meal for you. Shrimp. Ok so shrimp doesn't sound easy but in this case it is soooo easy. I love shrimp and grew up eating it. Usually covered in butter. This is a great lower calorie alternative. I have to be honest that I have never broiled shrimp but it usually only takes a couple of minutes. I couldn't believe it. I started with defrosting 1 lb of frozen large pealed and deveined shrimp. I usually buy fresh but in this case I had some in the fridge. Yeah!!!!! I made my makeshift broiling pan and placed the shrimp onto to pan making sure they are not touching.
Then you simply drizzle oil (I used canola) over them and then top with salt, pepper and Old Bay seasoning. Have you ever used Old Bay seasoning. This was a first time for me. I knew it was common to use in fish. I was interested to know what the seasonings were so I could see if I could make my own. It says, "various seasonings". Great?! I thought. :) I then sprinkled 4 minced cloves of garlic on top. Here the shrimp are seasoned. In the mean time I cranked up my oven to 500 degrees (broil) and placed the rack 5 inches from the heat.
Into the oven for 2 and then remove. At this point they were slightly pink and starting to curl. While cooking, mix panko bread crumbs, parsley, and lemon juice. Of course I didn't have enough lemon juice so mine was lemon and lime juice. :) After the two minutes, remove shrimp and toss in the bread crumb mixture. I placed them back onto the broil pan and then back into the "broiler" for 5 minutes. That's right. Done in 7 minutes!!!! Aren't they pretty and "fancy" looking.
Since I was in this exact busy weekend situation, I served with left over couscous (with bell peppers and green onions) and frozen peas. I was done in 15 minutes. And that was with Reagan and Ryan hanging on me the entire time!!! Not bad!!! Here is the finished product.
The shrimp were really flavorful. They tasted full of flavor just like they had been cooked in butter and garlic but in fact it was only garlic and a little oil. A much healthier alternative. I ate 11 shrimp for only 75 calories!!! WOW. That equals more desert right? Actually I was full so I didn't even need desert. :) Symon and I loved the taste. I felt they may have been cooked a little long because they were slightly tough. Symon said they were awesome! Reagan ate most of them and Ryan ate his "4 bites" as always. :) Overall, I would make these again and maybe with a big plate of pasta. YUMMY!!!
So this is the last of the broiling applications. Next up Roasting. Yummy!!!! What do you broil that I didn't. Let me know. I love the broiling application and am planning on using it a lot more.



No comments:

Post a Comment